Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Former Piston Amir Johnson looks to turn potential into production with Bucks

LAS VEGAS -- For years, Amir Johnson has gotten by on potential.
He's 22 and has been in the NBA four seasons. Judging him on potential won't cut it anymore.
It's all about production now, something the former Pistons forward is looking to do with his new team, the Milwaukee Bucks.
"It's time for me to step up and establish myself in the NBA," Johnson said this week.
He will get that opportunity this season with the Bucks, who were part of a three-team trade last month with Detroit and San Antonio that netted them Johnson.
Milwaukee general manager John Hammond spent seven seasons as Joe Dumars' right-hand man in Detroit, having input on several personnel moves, including the drafting of Johnson.
"He (Hammond) was the one who helped me get through my seasons in Detroit when he was there," Johnson said. "He was constantly talking to me, getting me on point. I think he's really helped me with my NBA career."
Hammond's faith in Johnson, as well as Johnson's expiring contract that comes off the books next summer, factored heavily in his decision to pursue the 6-foot-9 forward.
"Amir has a tremendous, tremendous amount of potential," Hammond said. "You see that potential every time he plays. But he's at a point where he has to do what he does best more consistently. I think he understands how important it is for him to be more productive, and he'll have opportunities to be just that this season."
Johnson, who signed a three-year, $11 million deal with Detroit in 2007, will be part of a loaded free-agent class next summer that should include Cleveland's LeBron James, Miami's Dwyane Wade, Toronto's Chris Bosh and Utah's Carlos Boozer, to name a few.
And with the salary cap expected to shrink even more next season, teams will be able to land proven talent for a lot less. And for players such as Johnson who are big on potential with little production to back it up, their options will be limited significantly.
"I'm feeling a little pressure," Johnson said. "But I know if I go and work hard on my game, I'll be alright."
Johnson also should benefit from playing with Bucks center Andrew Bogut.
In Detroit, power forwards Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess often played center. Because the Pistons' big men frequently guarded the nearest big man to them at the time, Johnson sometimes found himself trying to defend a center, who in many instances was significantly stronger.
"It was tough for me," Johnson said of trying to defend true centers. "Having Bogut, that'll help me focus on my main position, guarding 4s (power forwards)."
Improving as a defender remains one of Johnson's biggest areas in need of growth.
His athleticism and length give him the potential -- there's that word again -- for being a great help-side defender.
But as a Piston, Johnson far too often was on the bench because of early foul trouble.
Even in summer league where the competition is watered down from what he will see in the regular season, foul trouble remained an issue.
Players are allowed to pick up 10 personal fouls in summer league games (compared to six for NBA games) before they foul out of a game. Johnson averaged 6.8 personal fouls in Milwaukee's five summer league games.
"That's something I definitely have to cut back on and get better at," said Johnson, who averaged 2.8 fouls per game last season despite playing just 14.7 minutes per game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment