Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Transcript of Monday's chat with Pistons rookie Austin Daye

5:57 Freep: All right, Austin is here. Let's get started!
5:57 Austin Daye: Hello out there, Austin Daye here. We just got done practicing in Las Vegas and I'm looking forward to answering your questions. Fire away.
5:57 Scott: Hi Austin, how are you settling in with the Pistons so far?
5:58 Austin Daye: Good. Just getting used to the team and how everything works. It's been great so far.
5:58 CW: Has the team given you a nickname?
5:59 Austin Daye: Not yet but I'm leaving that up to P.A. Announcer Mason. I'm sure the veteran players will have something too.
5:59 PistonPowered.com: Austin, we hear a lot how your game is similar to Tayshaun Prince's. What's the biggest difference between your styles of play?
6:00 Austin Daye: I'm more of a shooter and Tayshaun is a much better slasher.
6:01 Dave: Austin, we're used to rookies languishing around here. Based on your skillset, do you feel like you can come in and contribute immediately?
6:02 Austin Daye: Of course. Every NBA basketball player should feel like they can contribute right away. Being a first round pick I feel like I should be ready to play right now.
6:02 Josh: Obviously the weight thing has been mentioned ad nauseum. Are you working with the Pistons training staff now? Does that work take away from your efforts to learn the system and play summer ball? Can you do both effectively?
6:03 Austin Daye: It's a process I have to go through. I will get it done and I'm looking forward to just gaining the weight since I know it will be helpful for my game.
6:03 max: how many hours a day do u practice in the offseason??
6:04 Austin Daye: I'm a gym rat. I can be at the gym for five hours a day. We had a shootaround this morning and I went back to the gym to shoot before our game tonight.
6:04 Scott: What are your thoughts on both Arron Afflalo and Walter Sharpe being traded earlier?
6:05 Austin Daye: It's unfortunate but it's the business of the NBA. Joe has to do whatever he has to do if he thinks it's going to help the team.
6:05 cccc9: Where do you see yourself 3 years from now?
6:07 Austin Daye: Hopefully a premier player in the NBA and helping the Pistons get back to being championship form. I just hope to be able to contribute and get us back to elite status.
6:07 Chad: What do you think of DaJuan Summers so far?
6:08 Austin Daye: Great player and great teammate. He's definitely going to help our team. He's aggressive and a pretty good all around player.
6:08 S Dub: Austin, good luck in the NBA! What was your favorite pro team growing up? Did you love/hate the Bad Boy Pistons? Welcome to the club!
6:09 Austin Daye: Growing up I watched a lot of the Lakers and Clippers being from Southern California. I actually liked the Bad Boys back then. They were great defensively and won a lot of games with their style of play. Thanks S Dub.
6:09 Guest: Helo Austin. At first glance what is your impression of Joe Dumars and the Pistons organization?
6:11 Austin Daye: Joe is straightforward and just a good guy who wants to win. The organization has always been a winning organization and one with class. They definitely want to get back to their winning ways and I like that.
6:11 chelise: Have you had a chance to tour Detroit?
6:12 Austin Daye: A little bit and I liked what I saw. Once I get back I'll get around a little more. I like what I see so far.
6:12 PistonPowered.com: Austin, what's something about you most people would surprised to know?
6:14 Austin Daye: That I'm a basketball player but I'm an overall sports junkie. I love soccer, football and Tennis. I really hope to be able to attend the World Cup next year.
6:14 Carlo: Yo Austin. Which position do u like better: Small Forward or Power Forward?
6:15 Austin Daye: It depends on the matchup but I can play both position. At the small forward position I handle the ball more and can make plays for others.
6:15 slowmotion: Looks like you been doing your thing in the summer leagueman...Congrats.....Has Joe been on you about putting on some weight? If so whats your goal
6:16 Austin Daye: Thanks. It's been fun out here so far. I'm aiming for about 210 to 215 for next season and then later on in my career I'll add some more weight.
6:17 Scott: I know it would be a great compliment being compared to Tay, but do you get sick of people saying that? As i'm sure you just want to make a name for yourself
6:18 Austin Daye: Not really. It would be different if he was a terrible player but he's one of the premier small forwards in the league so I really don't have a problem with it.
6:18 Chad: If you could choose one player in the NBA that you think your game resembles, who would it be?
6:19 Austin Daye: I'd have to say a combination of Rashard Lewis and Kevin Garnett. They are versatile players at their size.
6:19 Jerry: Austin do you feel you are ready to start right now?
6:22 Austin Daye: I have a lot to learn but I wouldn't run away from the position if it was given to me. Wahtever works best for the team is fine with me.
6:22 Logan: Hey Austin what are your expectations for the Pistons this year and how far do you see the team going in the playoffs. And best of luck this season.
6:23 Austin Daye: Thank you. Hopefully we win 50-plus games and try to get back to the Eastern Conference Finals. The East is tougher now but we know this franchise have high expectations.
6:24 PistonPowered.com: Austin, have you gotten a chance to talk to John Kuester yet? If so, what did you guys talk about. If not, what questions do you have for him?
6:25 Austin Daye: I met him for the first time today, great guy. He seems like he's ready to get to work. He came to our practice this morning and got right to it. He was really involved and was working hard. Usually in the summer league the head coach is standing off to the side while the assitant coaches do the coaching.
6:25 cccc9: How competative/willing to win are you while playing basketball? Can you give us one example of it?
6:27 Austin Daye: I'm super competitive and hate to lose. My dad always used to cheat when I was little so I started bringing a video camera when we played one on one so I can rewind the tape and make calls.
6:27 marvin m...: do you think your game is better than your dad's game....
6:28 Austin Daye: Yes! He actually tells me that I am going to be better than him. I'm a better shooter than he was but he's a better driver than I am.
6:29 Evan: What current players have opened their arms the most to you in helping you prepare for your career?
6:30 Austin Daye: I got calls from guys like Will Bynum, Stuckey, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun and Jason Maxeill on draft night so that was great. It's nice to know that those guys welcomed me with open arms and I'm looking forward to being on the team with them.
6:30 Jerry: Are you a good defensive player?
6:31 Austin Daye: I'm a very good defensive player. I use my length to my advantage and I'm also a pretty good help defender.
6:31 NathanK: Did you have chances to go to a larger school than Gonzaga? Do you think it helped you making the choice you did?
6:32 Austin Daye: I was recruited by bigger colleges like UCLA and USC but I thought that going to Gonzaga would allow me to play more.
6:33 Guest: Austin is there a big difference from the 3 point lines between college and pro...Do you think it will be a difficult adjustment for you to adjust your range?
6:34 Austin Daye: Not that much of a difference but with practice I'll get used to it. I'm shooting the 3 pretty good out here now so I think I'll be fine.
6:34 Larry: Could you play back-up point guard. The mismatch would be awesome!!!
6:35 Austin Daye: If I'm needed to I could but the point-guard position is the toughest position in the NBA so it's not something I'd want to do.
6:37 Austin Daye: I have time for a couple more questions. Make them good.
6:38 FREDDIE: WHEN CAN YOU BRING A CHAMPIONSHIP HOME?
6:39 Austin Daye: Hopefully soon. No longer than 3 to 4 years. We're going to compete because that will always be the ultimate goal of the Pistons.
6:39 Danimull: Austin in a few years can you see yourself as a leader in the locker room or are you more laid back?
6:40 Freep: And before you go, Austin, the people asked for your predictions for tonight's Home Run Derby and next year's World Cup ...
6:41 Austin Daye: Coming in I'd be more laid back but the more work you put in and if you let your game speak you can become a leader. I think you have to produce first before you try to become a leader. I plan on producing so I'll be a leader down the road.
6:42 Austin Daye: I'd like to see Pujols win it. It would be nice for him to win at home. I like to watch Brazil and France. I'm hoping that France wins though since I have a French connection.
6:42 Freep: Thanks very much to Austin for taking the time and to Cletus Lewis for setting this up. And, of course, thanks to everyone who submitted questions.
6:43 Albert: I´m from Sonora Mexico and I´m a pistons fan. Congrats Austin, good luck. Go pistons !
6:43 Austin Daye: Thank you fans for the great questions. I had a blast and it sure was fun. Looking forward to meeting you all in Detroit.
6:43 Austin Daye: Thanks again.
6:43 lee: good luck this year
6:43 Jerry: Austin welcome to Detroit and I wish you much success
6:43 Guest: GO PISTONS!!
6:44 Sean Evans: austin ur the man!!!
6:44 Scott: Thank you Austin for the chat
6:44 guy: bring us home some hardware
6:44 b: Go Zags!
6:44 Charles Clinton: DEEEEEETROIT BASKETBALL
6:44 Danimull: All Daye!!!!
Pistons beat writer Vince Ellis will chat with readers about the team’s off-season at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday. Be sure to stop by!

No comments:

Post a Comment