Tuesday, October 27, 2009

BASKETBALL: Jonny Flynn named NBA Rookie of the Month

It was a bittersweet week in Las Vegas for Jonny Flynn.

The Niagara Falls native was named the top rookie performer at the NBA Summer League, but for perhaps the first time in his basketball career, his team lost four times in five outings.

“A competitor like me, I want to win every time,” Flynn said in a video interview with NBA.com earlier in the week. “That’s something I can’t turn off, my competitive drive.”

Flynn scored 15 points per game on 48 percent shooting for the Minnesota Timberwolves. His 7.4-assist average was third in the league, and second among rookies to Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings.

In games on Friday and Saturday, Flynn scored 45 points on only 21 field goal attempts, utilizing pick-and-roll plays to get into the paint at will and draw several fouls.

“Here in the NBA it’s like the lane is wide open,” Flynn said. “There’s more space out there. So there’s more opportunities to create off the bounce.”

Flynn said it felt good to learn he was named NBA Rookie of the Month.

“It means I’m getting acknowledged for the way I played out here,” he told Timberwolves.com. “It means a lot of people took a liking to my game. I just don’t want to be complacent. I want to keep getting better and working on my game.”

Flynn won the award despite an underwhelming performance in Sunday’s 93-85 loss to the Chicago Bulls. He scored seven points on 3 for 10 shooting. But he did record seven assists, and thrilled the crowd with a windmill dunk.

Niagara Falls native Paul Harris received extended playing time for the first time all week, starting the game and playing more than 20 minutes. He contributed six points, four rebounds, one steal and one block.

No comments:

Post a Comment