Saturday, October 10, 2009

Vegas: Third Time's a Charm for Lawson

In his scariest of nightmares Ty Lawson couldn't have foreseen himself having a much worse start to his NBA career shooting the basketball. 
1-15 through two games.
Enough said. 
Despite his struggles shooting the rock it was readily apparent Lawson was having no problem getting where he wanted to go on the floor.  All it took was a little bit of film study to clear up some issues with his release around the rim and Lawson was ready to break out.
"After (Wednesday night's) game where I probably got my shot blocked like eight times I watched the tape last night and I realized what exactly I could do to get my shot off," Lawson explained.
Mission accomplished.
Just a little encouragement from his new head coach in Denver, George Karl, didn't hurt either.
"He was saying the last time we shot around, 'If you can go out there and score 35 and have 25 assists go ahead and do it,'" Lawson recalled.  "I just took that to heart and started playing a little bit better, but he really hasn't given too much feedback on how I've been playing so far."
MORE BY TRAVIS HEATH

5 Things We Learned In The NBA This Week: What's the big deal about "The Dunk," LeBron?... Andre Miller a good fit...
State of the New Orleans Hornets: HOOPSWORLD takes a look at the state of the cash-strapped New Orleans...
State of the Denver Nuggets: HOOPSWORLD examines what the Denver Nuggets have done so far this summer...
Lawson had his Vegas Summer League coming out party on Friday night against the Portland Trail Blazers scoring 25 points, dropping five dimes and grabbing five boards
"It's just experience," said Lawson.  "I was getting used to everybody's length.  With the big dudes I have to get into their body and extend away or use floaters.  You know, it took me a couple of games to adjust to the length in NBA games.  Right now I feel like I'm still adjusting.
"I played the pick-and-roll a lot better and played a lot better just all-around," he added.  "I'm just adjusting to the game."
In addition to wanting to prove that he was better than what he showed in the first two games of summer league play on Friday, Lawson also wanted to take it to an old friend, Jerryd Bayless, and showcase his ability to play well against bigger guards.
"I think I matched up real well," Lawson asserted.  "I've known him for a couple of years now.  We always talk trash back-and-forth, so I probably got bragging rights as of today.  But he's a really good player -- big and strong, 6'3.  You know, people say I have a lot of trouble against bigger players and I took that challenge head-on (Friday)."
Whether or not one falls when attempting something new is not nearly as important as whether or not one picks him or herself back up.
Adversity is a very real part of life as a NBA rookie, and Lawson has passed the first test of his young professional career.  Rest assured there will be plenty more to follow. 
Lawson's early resiliency should give Nuggets fans sufficient enough reason to be hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment