Monday, November 9, 2009

D-League Select Defeats Wolves

The new Wolves’ are experiencing first hand the type of talent that resides in the NBA, including the D-League.

On Monday, Minnesota suffered its second straight defeat in Summer League action with a 96-91 loss to the NBA D-League Select team.

The Wolves utilized a fast-pace attack to build a 10-point lead at halftime as Wayne Ellington displayed a well-rounded game. Ellington led all scorers with 22 points on 8-for-14 shooting from the floor.

“Yesterday, I think I just had some jitters in the first game,” Ellington said. “Today I came out and played a lot morecalm and played my game. I feel pretty good right now. I would like to win games, I’m not used to losing so that's what is tough for me but I’m getting better with the NBA game.”

The D-League Select team stormed out of the second half with a 12-0 run and held Minnesota to just 10 points in the third quarter. Othyus Jeffers, D-League MVP spearheaded the comeback with 20 points. While Jeffers provided the offense from the perimeter, the D-League team outscored the Wolves in the paint 54-40.

On a positive note, Jonny Flynn electrified the Las Vegas crowd and recorded 14 assists. The six-foot Flynn nearly completed a spectacular play in the second half with a dunk attempt on Gary Forbes. Flynn was fouled and sent to the line, finishing with 12 points in the loss.

“Every time I step out on basketball court I want to win. They played harder than us and that is one thing you never want to say, and they were the better team today,” Flynn said.

Corey Brewer looked strong in his second-game after undergoing ACL surgery last season. The small forward hit 5-for-12 from the field and scored 11 points.

Newly acquired center Oleksiy Pecherov tallied 10 boards but the Wolves lost the battle on the glass 45-33.

Next up for Minnesota is a matchup against the Washington Wizards on Friday at 7 PM Central time. Jonah Ballow and Chris Lewis will broadcast play by play live from the Cox Pavilion on timberwolves.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment