Sunday, November 22, 2009

Summer league offers proving ground for NBA hopefuls

The popular TV commercials touting "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" is a sentiment Josh Heytvelt desperately hopes is untrue.
The 23-year old former Gonzaga University forward is among the myriad unsigned NBA hopefuls who descend upon Las Vegas every year to participate in the NBA Summer League, which ran July 10-19.
There, Heytvelt went up against other undrafted rookies and young players in an attempt to attract interest from NBA clubs.
"You've got to showcase yourself and show teams that you really are somebody that they need," said Heytvelt, who played for the Washington Wizards squad. "This might be the only chance you get."
Heytvelt might just as well have been in the middle of nowhere as Las Vegas. He was all business for the week. His only nod to his surroundings was a mid-week trip to see Cirque de Soleil with his girlfriend and family.
The rest of the time was filled by morning shootarounds, followed by afternoon rest and evening games at Nevada-Las Vegas' Thomas & Mack Arena.
"There's only 500 people (in attendance) for a game, but there's so much riding on it, which gets you pumped up," Hetvelt said. His chances "all depend on what I do with summer league."
Heytvelt averaged a modest 1.2 points and 1.6 rebounds in 6.6 minutes but said he was satisfied with his performance.
"I felt pretty good," he said. "I have to do my thing, rebound and play good defense. I think I've done a good job showcasing that."
For others, such as Wizards third-year guard Nick Young, the league was an opportunity to learn a new system. Young is preparing to play for a new coach, Flip Saunders, and appreciated the time to get acclimated to Saunders' offensive philosophy.
"We've got a whole new staff and I'm trying to learn the plays," he said. "They told us what they're looking for, coming off screens and getting open shots."
Young was one of the most improved players in the league this summer, his third time playing in Las Vegas. He averaged 23.8 points, third most in the league.
"It comes naturally. For me being a vet, I know more of what's going on, I know how to take my time," Young said. "I'm more comfortable out there."
He also enjoyed the various perks of being a veteran leading younger players.
"Being a captain, being a veteran and having rookies to get me a drink, get my towels and stuff, it's nice," he said with a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment